Wednesday 22 June 2011

Using Web Tools to Support Learning

Using  Web Tools to support learning (Science 2.0)
Every time one of my students requested me to join facebook I politely refused thinking that this is going to eat away on my time. After connecting with people (at the moment on a small scale though) via this webtools course I have realized the importance of social networking. Using web tools to support learning by Eric Brunsell and Martin Horejsi is a very informative piece of writing about the evolution of Social networking. Very true that in this digital age social networking has evolved beyond its simple computer communication to an exponential expanding supply of sources and information. It opens up countless ways to share and collaborate. As a science teacher I am looking forward to the wealth of information and resources I am going to get from this form of communication not to say giving me an opportunity to share my knowledge and know how. Obviously as an educator I will be passing on this knowledge to my students thus making them the beneficiary of science education from teachers from around the world. I have to say too that science teaching is not going to be the same anymore. I am a member of the discussion forum of the IB diploma program and I used to be contented and very pleased with the way I used to borrow and share resources with other like minded teachers. Twitter, Classroom 2.0 and LearnCentral and other social networks seem to go beyond just a few people but a means to connect to innumerable teachers globally. These networks enable you to participate in ongoing discussions and exchange ideas. The amount of information available is definitely overwhelming but you have the right to choose the resource or material that would be useful to you. Social networking is here to stay. It has enriched science education in more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment