Saturday 25 June 2011

Its a flat world after all!

I couldn`t help but comment on this.I am an Indian and I had mixed feelings when I read `Its a flat world after all`. I am aware there is a very positive technological revolution going on here in India. I feel sorry to say that this revolution is combating with the population here. The urban technocrats are zooming ahead in the Information technology sector, the rich is growing richer due to very handsome pay packets in the corporate sector,the computer is seeping into urban and rural humble homes but many of the local schools and  teachers do not want to change from the age old traditional teaching practices. It is going to take a while for the real change to happen. There are wealthy schools that have the state of the art technology for their students and such students get the `best` of today`s technological education.Yes, there is `computer education` introduced in schools but I am not sure whether it is only because it is there or whether the educators and the students really want to make the most of it.I work in an American school now and I do have access to all the modern facilities yet I think I am still quite naive in my understanding of technology.I could blame it on my cultural and traditional upbringing that I am still not comfortable with putting my views frankly out in print. There is definitely a phenomenal growth in the last decade.Working standards have been raised and India has become upwardly mobile as far as the living conditions are concerned. However on the one hand we have a globally and economically growing India and on the other hand we have people who are struggling to keep up with the technological growth. I am really confused. I love my country nevertheless but shouldn`t growth be gradual so that all can participate and we do not leave anyone behind?

2 comments:

  1. I think it is the nature of the beast, Jayanthi. Technology moves faster than the general population can keep up with on more than just the physical level. It moves faster than we can generally keep up with ethically as well. That said, someone once described the huge changes that come about as being like waves. Someone or something makes a big splash and some people are carried on the crest of the wave and benefit immediately, while others are caught in the trough. Eventually though, the wave smooths out and all reap the benefits. Right now, India is in the midst of a tsunami-like wave, but I'll bet they and the rest of the world, will ride it out ok, accept the changes and move on. My thoughts anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your insight. We have many of the same struggles related to equity, but perhaps not as dramatic as in India. The notion of a "flat world" is important as it does get you thinking about how access to information is changing things on a global scale. However, it is also simplistic in that it often ignore the widening gap between those with access and those without.

    ReplyDelete